Reply to this topicStart new topic
> File Names Not Uploading Correctly
moevb
post Oct 29 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 6,330

Hi all,

I'm stumped. I have an image that is name K2535-2.jpg. However, when I upload it, NS changes it to K25352.jpg. The people that I'm working for really want the dashes in their file names. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to prevent NS from automatically changing my file names?

Thanks!

Moe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Oct 29 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #2

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

QUOTE (moevb @ Oct 29 2015, 09:23 PM) *
Hi all,

I'm stumped. I have an image that is name K2535-2.jpg. However, when I upload it, NS changes it to K25352.jpg. The people that I'm working for really want the dashes in their file names. Can someone tell me why this is happening and how to prevent NS from automatically changing my file names?

Thanks!

Moe

Well I just tried to replicate it within your file manager but I was not able to do so. Are you still having this problem?

The cart doesn't rename files after they've been uploaded (e.g. there's no code that's designed to do that) so this strikes me as most unusual.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Oct 29 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Oct 29 2015, 09:33 PM) *
Well I just tried to replicate it within your file manager but I was not able to do so. Are you still having this problem?

The cart doesn't rename files after they've been uploaded (e.g. there's no code that's designed to do that) so this strikes me as most unusual.

Thanks for your response. Yes, it is still doing it. I had to manually rename the file back to the original file name that it had before uploading. All of my files show that they were modified on 9/1/2015. I didn't modify them. All of the files that had hyphens in them are now all run together. It is really odd and is going to cause me a lot of trouble. By the way, I upload the image when creating a new product if that makes a difference. Thanks!

+Quote Post
moevb
post Oct 29 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #4

I just tried again with a new product as practice. I used a picture named "My Wife.jpg". I decided to leave the dash out this time. Same result. It uploaded the file as "MyWife.jpg". No space between the two words.

Also, is there a way to bulk delete files in File Manager? I was only able to delete one at a time. Thanks again! I appreciate the help.

+Quote Post
foxrun
post Oct 30 2015, 10:38 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,952

I have jpgs with dashes and upload without a problem. They appear in the file manager showing the dashes.

Harry

+Quote Post
moevb
post Oct 30 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (foxrun @ Oct 30 2015, 11:38 AM) *
I have jpgs with dashes and upload without a problem. They appear in the file manager showing the dashes.

Harry

Thanks Harry. It is weird to me. I can't upload any image without it taking out the space or dash. I'm completely stumped. And file manager shows that all of my images were modified on Septemeber 1st. I never modified them. Thanks again.

+Quote Post
foxrun
post Oct 30 2015, 12:15 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (moevb @ Oct 30 2015, 11:48 AM) *
Thanks Harry. It is weird to me. I can't upload any image without it taking out the space or dash. I'm completely stumped. And file manager shows that all of my images were modified on Septemeber 1st. I never modified them. Thanks again.

This is probably a dumb question, but are you sure you're properly saving the file with the dash prior to uploading?

Harry

+Quote Post
moevb
post Oct 30 2015, 01:13 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (foxrun @ Oct 30 2015, 01:15 PM) *
This is probably a dumb question, but are you sure you're properly saving the file with the dash prior to uploading?

Harry

Yep. :-) I've been doing this for over 10 years. I just happened to notice the name changes in file manager last night. I tried images with dashes and with just a space between words and it still runs the words together. And since file manager shows that the images were all modified on September1st and I never did that, then that makes me wonder if something went haywire. If I rename the file in file manager with a dash then it works. But my image K2535-2.jpg uploaded as K25352.jpg. I tried several picture and they all did this. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Oct 30 2015, 01:20 PM
Post #9

Update - If I load a picture direct into file manager then the dash stays. However, when I add a new picture to a product in my E-commerce Control Panel then the dash gets removed.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Oct 30 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #10

One other note. File manager will retain an underscore in the file name. A dash or space gets removed but the underscore stays in the name. Really odd that this would be happening.

+Quote Post
foxrun
post Oct 30 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (moevb @ Oct 30 2015, 02:20 PM) *
Update - If I load a picture direct into file manager then the dash stays. However, when I add a new picture to a product in my E-commerce Control Panel then the dash gets removed.

Interesting...I do it both ways myself, but never really checked to see how it loads when I just use the image manager when adding new products.

Harry

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 05:44 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates