nsForum logo

Welcome Guest ( Log In )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Google's New Penalty And What You Should Know, Starting 4/21/15, mobile-friendly sites are more than ever a must.
PowderDay
post May 8 2015, 11:24 AM
Post #26

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 1,942

While not prepared to dump the current site in favor of a (non-native) NS design we do want to have the mobile version (currently enabled) better working. Setting aside the fact that NS can't offer a useful product description (which is causing a lot of issues with us as the short descriptions are limited) is there a way to make custom pages somehow render correctly on a mobile enable version of the site?

I was thinking about how to navigate to said pages and currently thinking of using the mobile footer (HOME > DESIGN > MOBILE DESIGN - Footer options) for links to said custom pages via some form of custom button (any idea how tall the default mobile category buttons are? they seem like maybe 40PX high?)

The problem is that the custom pages do not render a mobile version??

In chrome they have a great tool to visualize mobile. Go to the page, inspect element, then click on the cell phone looking button. From there you can emulate a number of different phones. Nav works ok but if you can make it to a custom page it is simple a smashed in full size version??

Also any way to add text under the header image? I suppose i could make a taller header image with text but that does not seem as efficient.

Thanks in advance (IMG:http://forums.networksolutions.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ps, I know responsive is the way to go apparently, but not in the cards at the moment. Maybe NS is about to launch something more in keeping with the times. wink wink nudge nudge
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post May 8 2015, 04:55 PM
Post #27

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

QUOTE (PowderDay @ May 8 2015, 12:24 PM) *
Ps, I know responsive is the way to go apparently, but not in the cards at the moment. Maybe NS is about to launch something more in keeping with the times. wink wink nudge nudge

Just curious: Is the implication that the product team should spend time investing in the mobile design feature, which would be more: "in keeping with the times"?

Based on your response here, it seems to me that you're not really convinced regarding the benefits of a responsive design and would prefer to have more options to configure the current mobile design view. Is that the sum of your point(s)?

On a side note, you cannot modify the way the mobile design looks outside of the MCP options.

+Quote Post
PowderDay
post May 8 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ May 8 2015, 04:55 PM) *
Just curious: Is the implication that the product team should spend time investing in the mobile design feature, which would be more: "in keeping with the times"?

Based on your response here, it seems to me that you're not really convinced regarding the benefits of a responsive design and would prefer to have more options to configure the current mobile design view. Is that the sum of your point(s)?

On a side note, you cannot modify the way the mobile design looks outside of the MCP options.

In general it does seem like mobile / a more responsive site will yield better business results for everybody. It does of course depend on the site. Our main ecom site (hosted here) has never had much mobile traffic but we do realize this will change over time. Another site based on a local service provided (general hosting with ns) is a very old site but does get a much higher percentage via mobile...

As far as how i feel about the responsive design idea. Well as an idea it sounds great but in practice it is generally awful for desktop users in favor of the mobile experience. This is for a lot of big sites i look at personally and a lot of them have gone mobile friendly in the past few months and the desktop experience has suffered. For our ecom site that would mean a massive setp backwards for almost everybody in favor of a yet undeveloped mobile presence. Think pendulum swinging the other way..

As far as the ecom site goes, yes in the short term i want the mobile enabled portion to look and function better if possible. Long term a magic bullet would be nice but i am realistic and know that one size wont fit all.

A better option for the long description to be viewable would help.
A way to render the 'center section' of what is displayed on the normal desktop view for our custom pages is necessary. For what it is worth we are fielding a lot more mobile generated email questions that could be user answered if more of the description was viewable and if some of our custom pages we readable / linkable.

The question about the custom pages is (maybe) easier to implement? if there would be a way to do that it might be a good initial step.

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post May 9 2015, 03:20 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (PowderDay @ May 8 2015, 08:57 PM) *
As far as how i feel about the responsive design idea. Well as an idea it sounds great but in practice it is generally awful for desktop users in favor of the mobile experience. This is for a lot of big sites i look at personally and a lot of them have gone mobile friendly in the past few months and the desktop experience has suffered. For our ecom site that would mean a massive setp backwards for almost everybody in favor of a yet undeveloped mobile presence. Think pendulum swinging the other way..

As far as the ecom site goes, yes in the short term i want the mobile enabled portion to look and function better if possible. Long term a magic bullet would be nice but i am realistic and know that one size wont fit all.

Couple of things to note here:

I wouldn't gauge the quality of a responsive site design in general purely based on examples you've seen that weren't done right. Responsive design isn't the limiting factor in the example you've laid out; you're just looking at a knowledge gap or lack of experience for the designer/developer.

Remember: a proper responsive site isn't supposed to pair down the experience. It's just supposed to make sure that the person viewing the page can properly view the content they need to see. Responsive design isn't even just for mobile devices, but for devices of varying screen sizes and resolutions (which really can be anything, not just "mobile").

Now for a bit of honest opinion regarding the mobile design: I find it highly unlikely that the mobile design feature will receive much in the way of updates in the forseeable future. Regardless, user experience via device detection is a seriously inferior way to provide a mobile experience to customers.

Why do I say this? Device detection relies on definitions. If new devices come out, or updates occur, and the definitions are not/cannot be updated, then you are unable to properly serve your user the right experience. This means that there is a chance that any user who should have the "mobile experience" may not receive it when they load up your page, even if they're on a "mobile" device (fyi: this is the same with any implementation like this, not just ours).

As I always say, I encourage you and everyone else to do what you think is best for your business. But I wouldn't look to the mobile design feature for ways to control the user experience for your customers. If you want to control the user experience on your site all the way through, regardless of the device type your customer is using, I would have to recommend implementing a responsive design.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the dialog here, this is a great topic for discussion.

+Quote Post
PowderDay
post May 9 2015, 08:34 AM
Post #30

Thanks for the reply.

For the time being a redesign is off the table as it is not a financially viable or necessary option.

I understand that the NS solution is not an actual solution, but it is all that is offered at the moment. I was not surprised that this is not going to get any love from NS as there are other topics on the forums years old with no movement from NS whatsoever.

That said is there a way to have the NS mobile version display a custom page - either an existing custom page or a cloned and modified page. Yes this is a stop gap measure.

I have asked this a few times and have not had a direct reply to it.

I will understand if it is technically not possible, though it seems like there should be a way to code either an existing page or a new one to render in a similar way to the rest of the mobile version. Too optimistic? no sure.

For any of the "higher ups" who might see this (long time Monster / NS customer reading this stop laughing) I do find the lack of movement from the organization disappointing. We are approached on a monthly basis from other hosting / cart solution providers wanting our business. For a number of reasons we have continued with NS. A lot of times the grass ins't any greener on the neighbors lawn it is just perspective. But sometimes you do need to either work on your lawn or buy your neighbors house because the grass really is greener.

+Quote Post
PowderDay
post Aug 5 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #31

back on topic. April came and went. no changes what so ever in terms of mobile volume. July 16th - today. Overnight pop in mobile (and total) traffic.

June 17% traffic and 7% sales were mobile ex tablet.
July 16-Aug 4 51% traffic and 4% sales were mobile ex tablet.

anybody else see an upside pop?

+Quote Post
mdsource
post Aug 6 2015, 08:38 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 102

QUOTE (PowderDay @ Aug 5 2015, 06:03 PM) *
back on topic. April came and went. no changes what so ever in terms of mobile volume. July 16th - today. Overnight pop in mobile (and total) traffic.

June 17% traffic and 7% sales were mobile ex tablet.
July 16-Aug 4 51% traffic and 4% sales were mobile ex tablet.

anybody else see an upside pop?

As an F.Y.I...... I have been calling in to NS regarding several issues. Each time I have been diverted to web.com support based in Canada. (NOTE: so far, those guys are excellent!)
Each instance, the web.com tech, or sales rep., or other had no idea what was going on with NS or their ecommerce platform.

However, they were more than happy to show me how I could have a responsive site using their software. We would only have to pay them to migrate the site into one of their custom built web sites.

Anyone remember "Migrate" around here? My guess is the reason NS is not investing time here is they can see around the bend.

Web.com custom build site = Responsive

+Quote Post
ParkerYamaha
post Aug 6 2015, 10:31 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,078

So how we make a header logo that fits for mobile?
What size etc etc
We want to enable Mobile on two of our sites that are ecommerce platform but dont sell anything online
havasupowersports.com
bullheadpowersports.com
Thx
Dave

+Quote Post
mdsource
post Aug 6 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (ParkerYamaha @ Aug 6 2015, 11:31 AM) *
So how we make a header logo that fits for mobile?
What size etc etc
We want to enable Mobile on two of our sites that are ecommerce platform but dont sell anything online
havasupowersports.com
bullheadpowersports.com
Thx
Dave

Since the pages don't sell anything online, what about a redirect to a different page that is responsive? Wordpress, Woocommerce etc. ??

+Quote Post
ParkerYamaha
post Aug 6 2015, 03:58 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 2,078

Thanks
Will look into it
We are at a point with at least these 2 sites to maybe move to a new platform that is better for the current technology since these are powersports designed needed sites and the current platform really isnt designed as such. These are up for renew this month so may be jumping ship soon,

I temp did a smaller header to at least use on these two to enable mobile for Google

Whatever we switch to needs to be user friendly and easy to add remove vehicles etc
Dave

QUOTE (mdsource @ Aug 6 2015, 01:34 PM) *
Since the pages don't sell anything online, what about a redirect to a different page that is responsive? Wordpress, Woocommerce etc. ??

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Aug 8 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (mdsource @ Aug 6 2015, 09:38 AM) *
As an F.Y.I...... I have been calling in to NS regarding several issues. Each time I have been diverted to web.com support based in Canada. (NOTE: so far, those guys are excellent!)
Each instance, the web.com tech, or sales rep., or other had no idea what was going on with NS or their ecommerce platform.

However, they were more than happy to show me how I could have a responsive site using their software. We would only have to pay them to migrate the site into one of their custom built web sites.

Anyone remember "Migrate" around here? My guess is the reason NS is not investing time here is they can see around the bend.

Web.com custom build site = Responsive

It sounds like you're calling another team and they're offering to set you up with a "do it with me" service. This isn't the same thing as the store you have now.

This is the support number you should be using: 888.252.3266

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

+Quote Post
mdsource
post Aug 9 2015, 07:48 AM
Post #37

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Aug 9 2015, 12:28 AM) *
It sounds like you're calling another team and they're offering to set you up with a "do it with me" service. This isn't the same thing as the store you have now.

This is the support number you should be using: 888.252.3266

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks, I realize I have been calling different numbers than the one you post above. As I mentioned, I have been calling for different "issues" and have been calling the numbers provided. The results are that we are being offered a different product.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 21st July 2017 - 07:26 PM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates