nsForum logo

Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Have A Responsive Design? Make Sure Your Store Has This Change!, Necessary changes to your robots.txt file for the new Google Penalty
ecomIanS
post Mar 30 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

To all merchants with a responsive design:

If you have a responsive storefront design, please insure that your robots.txt file is setup to NOT "disallow" access to the themes directory.

How do I know if I have a responsive storefront?

You would've had to pay to have a web developer (or if you have those skills, do it yourself) setup a special type of design that automatically adjusts itself based on the size of the screen viewing your site. Really, you should know if you have such a thing. But in case you don't, feel free to post if you're unsure.

Verifying your configuration

To test your store, run your URL through this website from Google:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/

Once done, the results will tell you if Googlebot cannot see your themes directory. If you fail this section, continue below to resolve.

Fixing the Issue

Go to your MCP and open the file manager.
Open/Edit the robots.txt file found in the root of the file manager.
Look for a line that reads: "Disallow: /themes"
If present, remove that line completely and save the file.

To verify the fix, rerun your URL through the google mobile friendly analyzer.

If you have any questions, feel free to post a reply.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sweetnsourtees
post Apr 19 2015, 07:32 AM
Post #2

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 1,017

So if you have a basic free template are you basically screwed for this google update?

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Apr 19 2015, 09:02 AM
Post #3

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

QUOTE (sweetnsourtees @ Apr 19 2015, 08:32 AM) *
So if you have a basic free template are you basically screwed for this google update?

Absolutely not.

As I've mentioned in similar threads all stores can satisfy the requirement out of the box by using the mobile design feature.

The recommended alternative is a responsive site, but its not the only option. In summary you can comply with Google's new requirement with no extra cost by using the mobile design feature.

Precious thread about this issue:
http://forums.networksolutions.com/designi...now-t12232.html

Note: The linked thread above and this thread are discussing two different topics, so lets make sure we are posting comments in the appropriate thread to insure your post gets proper visibility.

Let me know if you require further explanation. If you want to discuss the new penalty in general please do so in that thread I linked.

+Quote Post
care4dave
post Jun 7 2016, 09:51 AM
Post #4

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 12,648

I wanted to add to this thread that it's a good idea to check your robots.txt file regularly to make sure that it hasn't reverted back to blocking themes. NS seems to be updating this file on all of our stores and replacing it with the version that all non-responsive designed websites use. We've had to edit our robots.txt file 3 times this year by taking out the reference to themes as well as custom directories. As soon as NS overwrites our edited robots file, Googlebot can't see our full pages and our rankings begin to fall. So, if you have a responsive design, check your robots.txt file to see if it's been overwritten by NS. Ours was overwritten last week and we just caught it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 05:44 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates