> How Do I Design A Website Without Network Solutions Template
Rating 5 V
moevb
post Jun 5 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 6,330

Hi,

I was searching the forums and could not find the answer to my problem. What I want to do is to get away from the Network Solutions templates and create my own website. I have done this quite a bit using various hosting sites for years. However, I can not seem to figure out how to do it here. Typically I use FTP to upload my files to my directory and the index.htm file would be the homepage. However, I don't even know how to log into the FTP portion of Network Solutions. The direction from Network Solutions on how to setup the FTP File Publisher is antiquated. The steps that they show do not look like my Account Manger looks. When I look at my File Manager I can't figure out where my homepage file even is. And with it being a .aspx file I wouldn't know where to look. Any suggestions? I would love to have full control over the look of my site without being tied to the Ecommerce Manager.

Thanks!

Moe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Jun 5 2014, 09:53 PM
Post #2

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

QUOTE (moevb @ Jun 5 2014, 05:42 PM) *
Hi,

I was searching the forums and could not find the answer to my problem. What I want to do is to get away from the Network Solutions templates and create my own website. I have done this quite a bit using various hosting sites for years. However, I can not seem to figure out how to do it here. Typically I use FTP to upload my files to my directory and the index.htm file would be the homepage. However, I don't even know how to log into the FTP portion of Network Solutions. The direction from Network Solutions on how to setup the FTP File Publisher is antiquated. The steps that they show do not look like my Account Manger looks. When I look at my File Manager I can't figure out where my homepage file even is. And with it being a .aspx file I wouldn't know where to look. Any suggestions? I would love to have full control over the look of my site without being tied to the Ecommerce Manager.

Thanks!

Moe

Hey there, thanks for posting. I'll be happy to help clarify this for you.

Firstly, the online store does not actually have an FTP function (which is why you aren't finding information about one). The file publisher stuff relates to a shared hosting package.

Second: If you're wanting to not use our templates, you can absolutely do so. There are two simple steps to get started here.

Instructions:

Part 1
1. Login to the MCP and go to Design-->Site Design
2. Create a new site design, give it whatever name you wish
3. Do NOT choose a template

Part 2
1. For the site design you just created, click on "Colors, Fonts, & General Style Settings" located under "Design Options"
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and check the box that reads: "Disable the default stylesheet" and click save.

The end result is that you have an online store using no pre configured HTML in the header, footer, or columns and no default/stock styling (CSS).

Note: Images will still need to be managed using the "Images" link under Design options, this is due to the cart's architecture.

Third: Its important to note that the online store is configured in parts, kind of like how a wordpress page is. So while you don't have 100% access to the source of all pages and such, you can effectively design them exactly how you wish.

If you'd like to know more about this info, you can also chat or call technical support and they can explain these instructions.

Fourth: Predefined pages (pages that come with the store out of the box that aren't product/category pages) are managed under "Pages" in the MCP and are not located in the file manager (another reason why they weren't there when you looked).

You can create some seriously customized designs using the online store though. Here are a couple of noteworthy examples:

www.ns-responsive.com
www.ns-responsive-plus.com

They are some examples of custom design packages (these are demo pages we setup) that showcase a Responsive site design package we offer.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let me know if you need clarification on these items.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Jun 6 2014, 07:10 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Jun 5 2014, 10:53 PM) *
Hey there, thanks for posting. I'll be happy to help clarify this for you.

Firstly, the online store does not actually have an FTP function (which is why you aren't finding information about one). The file publisher stuff relates to a shared hosting package.

Second: If you're wanting to not use our templates, you can absolutely do so. There are two simple steps to get started here.

Instructions:

Part 1
1. Login to the MCP and go to Design-->Site Design
2. Create a new site design, give it whatever name you wish
3. Do NOT choose a template

Part 2
1. For the site design you just created, click on "Colors, Fonts, & General Style Settings" located under "Design Options"
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and check the box that reads: "Disable the default stylesheet" and click save.

The end result is that you have an online store using no pre configured HTML in the header, footer, or columns and no default/stock styling (CSS).

Note: Images will still need to be managed using the "Images" link under Design options, this is due to the cart's architecture.

Third: Its important to note that the online store is configured in parts, kind of like how a wordpress page is. So while you don't have 100% access to the source of all pages and such, you can effectively design them exactly how you wish.

If you'd like to know more about this info, you can also chat or call technical support and they can explain these instructions.

Fourth: Predefined pages (pages that come with the store out of the box that aren't product/category pages) are managed under "Pages" in the MCP and are not located in the file manager (another reason why they weren't there when you looked).

You can create some seriously customized designs using the online store though. Here are a couple of noteworthy examples:

www.ns-responsive.com
www.ns-responsive-plus.com

They are some examples of custom design packages (these are demo pages we setup) that showcase a Responsive site design package we offer.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Please let me know if you need clarification on these items.

Thanks for the very thorough reply. I really appreciate it. So basically, if I see an Ecommerce template online that I really like, I will be unable to use it with my Ecommerce package? Building a website this way is entirely new to me. So my questions may be pretty basic.

Thanks!

Moe

+Quote Post
ParkerYamaha
post Jun 6 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,078

Moe if you are planning on doing E commerce and new to it, the templates are sure the way to go as they are rather easy to learn and have lots of room to modify and improve,

We are using the E commerce templates on two of sites and they dont sell any products online but was way easier to use it that way than some other format since we also use one site for all ECommerce and the best way to keep it simple for 3 sites was use the same formats since the ones that do the Ecommerce site also update our other sites and thus no need to learn new layouts.

Dave

These are two of ours that are E-Commerce templates that do not sell any products online
bullheadpowersports.com and havasupowersports.com

+Quote Post
moevb
post Jun 6 2014, 12:08 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (ParkerYamaha @ Jun 6 2014, 12:38 PM) *
Moe if you are planning on doing E commerce and new to it, the templates are sure the way to go as they are rather easy to learn and have lots of room to modify and improve,

We are using the E commerce templates on two of sites and they dont sell any products online but was way easier to use it that way than some other format since we also use one site for all ECommerce and the best way to keep it simple for 3 sites was use the same formats.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I've actually built websites for many years and have been in Ecommerce for 8 1/2 years. What has me thrown is the major difference in building your own website where you have control over everything to using the Network Solutions platform. We have used their template for years. But the design is "tired" and I decided to look into how to revamp the site. That's when I found out about the limitations or the completely different processes in creating a unique website. I will have to try the information that was given in the first reply to this post and see if that opens my eyes. :-)

Thanks again!

Moe

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Jun 6 2014, 01:34 PM
Post #6

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

QUOTE (moevb @ Jun 6 2014, 08:10 AM) *
Thanks for the very thorough reply. I really appreciate it. So basically, if I see an Ecommerce template online that I really like, I will be unable to use it with my Ecommerce package? Building a website this way is entirely new to me. So my questions may be pretty basic.

Thanks!

Moe

Moe,

I wouldn't say it's that cut and dry. You can use frameworks (like Zurb Foundation or Bootstrap for instance) in our platform. The code just needs to be altered to work with the platform a bit. The two sites I linked to you are great examples of this.

+Quote Post
ParkerYamaha
post Jun 6 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,078

Moe
Let us know how it works when done :}
Dave

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 21st July 2017 - 07:25 PM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates