Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How The Wysiwyg Affects Your Html, WYSIWYG = Basic/Advanced Design Editor
ecomIanS
post Nov 24 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

Hello all,

I wanted to write a small post that explains a bit about the way our Advanced and Basic WYSIWYG module interacts with your store markup (HTML). This is a topic that comes up from time to time in support and I wanted to make sure the information was available to make sure you all are fully informed!

Im going to discuss:

1. What is a WYSIWYG?
  2. What does the WYSIWYG do when changes are saved?
  3. What can be done to mitigate/avoid this problem

1.) What is a WYSIWYG?

WYSIWYG is an acronym for: What You See Is What You Get

This is a Javascript powered engine that allows you to work with HTML you enter to make it easier to apply styles and enter HTML without requiring you to know any code.

2.) What does the WYSIWYG do when changes are saved?

The WYSIWYG takes all of the code that has either been previously entered/saved or the code generated while making edits and runs through a parse, which essentially just takes the HTML and insures it is all semantic and proper according the XHTML 1.0 Transitional spec.

If you really only make edits via the WYSIWYG then this probably won't matter too much, unless you go into the source code and edit the markup manually.

If you primarily use the HTML editor for scripting or more advanced configurations, the "parse" could potential alter your code/markup in a undesired manner. This usually will have a negative effect on scripts more than anything (simply due to the nature of scripting) however sometimes your HTML may also become altered.

3.) What can be done to mitigate/avoid this problem?

The simple solution to this type of thing would be to disable the WYSIWYG if you are entering/saving scripts or advanced HTML in the shopping cart. The WYSIWYG would only need to be disabled in the event you were performing a Save on a page that contains advanced HTML or Javascript/jQuery.

The reason why is pretty straightforward: The "parse" that actually causes your input to change only is performed when the page is saved. If the page is not saved and the WYSIWYG is on then no changes will be committed (if nothing else because Save was not pressed).

tl;dr - If you are using Advanced HTML or Javascript/jQuery on your pages, make sure that you only save changes when you have the WYSIWYG disabled to insure your code/markup does not get changed in undesirable manner.

Final Note:

The reason I wanted to post this is because Network Solutions/Web.com does not "warranty" the design of our merchant's stores and the merchant is responsible for maintaining and properly editing their own design¸—my objective here was to make sure that you all are equipped with as much useful knowledge as possible to make sure you can do so.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lynn44
post Nov 25 2013, 08:21 AM
Post #2

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 2,842

Where do you disable WYSIWG? I see it only in Operations/Settings/ with no option to disable, only to change it from Basic, Advanced or HTML.

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Nov 25 2013, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

QUOTE (lynn44 @ Nov 25 2013, 08:21 AM) *
Where do you disable WYSIWG? I see it only in Operations/Settings/ with no option to disable, only to change it from Basic, Advanced or HTML.

Choosing the HTML editor would be the equivalent to "disabling" the WYSIWYG.

+Quote Post
jjjusme
post Oct 8 2017, 07:12 AM
Post #4

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 3,285

Roopokar is Professional Website design company in Bangladesh. IT can help you to Install Site Seal
for more details visit: http://www.roopokar.com/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 06:23 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates