Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newsletter Signup Issue
moevb
post Aug 13 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 6,330

Hi,

I am trying to make a place on our website where people can enter their e-mail address, hit submit and be signed up for our newsletter. I have attempted to do this with nscript but am obviously doing something wrong. Here is what I have thus far:

<div id="ctl00_mailingList_emailSignupWrapper" onkeypress="java script:return WebForm_FireDefaultButton(event, 'ctl00_mailingList_imbSubmit')">

<label for="ctl00_mailingList_txtEmail" id="ctl00_mailingList_lblEmail" class="label">Email Address:</label>
<input name="ctl00$mailingList$txtEmail" type="text" maxlength="255" id="ctl00_mailingList_txtEmail" class="textbox mailing-list-module-text" style="width:100%;" />

<input type="image" name="ctl00$mailingList$imbSubmit" id="ctl00_mailingList_imbSubmit" src="/themes/practicecustomdesign/images/buttons/mod_btn_submit.gif"
alt="Submit" style="border-width:0px;margin-top: 5px" />

</div>

Can anyone help to shed some light on what I have done wrong or need to do to get this to work?

Thanks!

Moe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lynn44
post Aug 13 2014, 10:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,842

I used the Mailing List module in:
Home > Design > Site Design > Left & Right Navigation
You can tweak it a bit to say what you want:

Mailing Lists
Email Address:
Submit

Then it creates a list under
Home > Sales > Mailing Lists
BUT IF I RECALL, YOU HAVE TO CREATE THE NAME OF THE LIST FIRST SO IT HAS A LOCATION TO SEND THOSE EMAIL ADDRESSES TO. THAT IS CREATED IN THE HOME/SALES/MAILING LISTS/ADD A NEW MAILING LIST.

I then export the list and upload it to an external email company like Consant Contac or Vertical Response to send a newsletter. Each time I go to send a Newsletter, I go to the Mailing List and upload the new contacts before sending the next newsletter.

I would make more use of the Marketing/Contacts within the admin panel but NS doesn't allow you to download your customer list so it's not my main method for sending emails to customers. I think they are losing money by not letting us download our own list of customers because we would likely buy more email credits. Funny that they allow us to Import but not Export lists of customers.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Aug 14 2014, 07:38 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (lynn44 @ Aug 13 2014, 11:45 PM) *
I used the Mailing List module in:
Home > Design > Site Design > Left & Right Navigation
You can tweak it a bit to say what you want:

Mailing Lists
Email Address:
Submit

Then it creates a list under
Home > Sales > Mailing Lists
BUT IF I RECALL, YOU HAVE TO CREATE THE NAME OF THE LIST FIRST SO IT HAS A LOCATION TO SEND THOSE EMAIL ADDRESSES TO. THAT IS CREATED IN THE HOME/SALES/MAILING LISTS/ADD A NEW MAILING LIST.

I then export the list and upload it to an external email company like Consant Contac or Vertical Response to send a newsletter. Each time I go to send a Newsletter, I go to the Mailing List and upload the new contacts before sending the next newsletter.

I would make more use of the Marketing/Contacts within the admin panel but NS doesn't allow you to download your customer list so it's not my main method for sending emails to customers. I think they are losing money by not letting us download our own list of customers because we would likely buy more email credits. Funny that they allow us to Import but not Export lists of customers.

Thanks for the great information. That gives me a great starting point and I'm headed down the right road now. :-) Do you know how to have a "Thank You" page or something like it pop up once someone hits the "Submit" button? Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

+Quote Post
moevb
post Aug 14 2014, 09:37 AM
Post #4

I came across another question. Does anyone know of a reason why you can't copy the code that is generated by the Mailing List Module and put it anywhere on your site that you want? I've tried and I get the look of the module. However, when I hit submit it does not retain the e-mail address as being signed up for my newsletter. It works fine if I leave it in the original column. But I would like to customize it. Thanks again!

+Quote Post
lynn44
post Aug 14 2014, 12:50 PM
Post #5

regarding The Thank You....
Home > Operations > Payments > click on the button to EDIT the Payment Method you use. Be sure not to change any of the important numbers, etc., pin, etc. and go only to the text box...
A text box appears that might or might not have text already in it. That is where my Thank you/Order Confirmation is:
[size="3"]Thank you for your order.

Order # <%Order.Number%>
Order Subtotal: <% Order.Subtotal %>
Shipping: <% Order.Shipping %>
Total: <% Order.Total %>
<%Customer.Email%>

This page is also where some of your analytics might be stored, if you view the HTML portion of that text box. You also don't want to change that unless you know what you're doing.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Aug 14 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (lynn44 @ Aug 14 2014, 01:50 PM) *
regarding The Thank You....
Home > Operations > Payments > click on the button to EDIT the Payment Method you use. Be sure not to change any of the important numbers, etc., pin, etc. and go only to the text box...
A text box appears that might or might not have text already in it. That is where my Thank you/Order Confirmation is:
[size="3"]Thank you for your order.

Order # <%Order.Number%>
Order Subtotal: <% Order.Subtotal %>
Shipping: <% Order.Shipping %>
Total: <% Order.Total %>
<%Customer.Email%>

This page is also where some of your analytics might be stored, if you view the HTML portion of that text box. You also don't want to change that unless you know what you're doing.

Thanks again. I'm sorry but I wasn't clear. I was wanting the customer to be taken to a "Thank You" page or some other sort of confirmation page once they have signed up for the mailing list.

Thank you!

+Quote Post
ParkerYamaha
post Aug 14 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,078

Lynn

You can download all the customers that sign up for the emailing list, if thats what you are looking for,
home>sales>mailing list> edit mailing list and then scroll down to bottom of page for the Export.

However you do not get the 1st and last name that way, we also run a banner on the site via mailchimp where they can add themselves with name etc

We use it all the time and then import them into Mail Chimp.

Dave

+Quote Post
moevb
post Aug 14 2014, 09:48 PM
Post #8

Does anyone happen to know why the code that is in the left column will not work elsewhere? I'm wanting to be able to have a Newsletter sign-up box in the footer. I've used the code exactly as it is in the left column and put it in my footer. But when I enter an e-mail address and hit submit it does not add it to the mailing list. The one in the left column works perfectly. But it's just not where we want it.

Thanks!

Moe

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Aug 14 2014, 11:01 PM
Post #9

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

moevb,

There isn't a confirmation page option for mailing list signups at this time. The typical behavior is to display a little "success" message near the signup field.

Ultimately if you're wanting some more advanced functionality, you'll want to take a look at a separate email marketing system. There are a variety of providers available, but there is an option that's a web.com product called: 1shoppingcart

There are packages for email marketing only that would be a great option if you want email marketing with more "extensibility". Other options (outside of the company) include Mailchimp (which Parker Yamaha uses), AWeber, and more.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Aug 15 2014, 06:54 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Aug 15 2014, 12:01 AM) *
moevb,

There isn't a confirmation page option for mailing list signups at this time. The typical behavior is to display a little "success" message near the signup field.

Ultimately if you're wanting some more advanced functionality, you'll want to take a look at a separate email marketing system. There are a variety of providers available, but there is an option that's a web.com product called: 1shoppingcart

There are packages for email marketing only that would be a great option if you want email marketing with more "extensibility". Other options (outside of the company) include Mailchimp (which Parker Yamaha uses), AWeber, and more.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yes, this does answer my question about a confirmation page. What confuses me is that in the Pages section there is a Predefined Page called Marketing Optin. It seems to be a confirmation page. You can view it here - http://www.harrisweldingsupplies.com/marketing-optin.aspx. What would this page be used for?

+Quote Post
lynn44
post Aug 15 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #11

http://www.networksolutions.com/support/em...eting-overview/

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Aug 16 2014, 01:40 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (moevb @ Aug 15 2014, 07:54 AM) *
Yes, this does answer my question about a confirmation page. What confuses me is that in the Pages section there is a Predefined Page called Marketing Optin. It seems to be a confirmation page. You can view it here - http://www.harrisweldingsupplies.com/marketing-optin.aspx. What would this page be used for?

That page is for opt in confirmation. So, if you got an opt in message (i.e. message that says, click here to confirm you want to receive messages from us) and accepted, you would be directed to that page.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Aug 18 2014, 10:20 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Aug 16 2014, 02:40 PM) *
That page is for opt in confirmation. So, if you got an opt in message (i.e. message that says, click here to confirm you want to receive messages from us) and accepted, you would be directed to that page.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't having someone sign up for your newsletter be an opt-in? If not, then what would be considered an opt-in and how would they land on this page?

Thanks again!

Moe

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Aug 18 2014, 10:23 AM
Post #14

Moevb,

Happy to help here.

Here's an example of how this would work:

1. Customer signs up for mailing list
2. You attempt to opt them in to your mailing list and a message is sent to them asking them to opt in.
3. If the customer clicks the "yes, opt me in" link in that email, they would be taken to the opt in confirmation page.

Simply signing up for the newsletter would be a single (i.e. unverified) opt-in. Our Email Marketing system currently requires double opt ins for clients.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

+Quote Post
moevb
post Aug 18 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Aug 18 2014, 11:23 AM) *
Moevb,

Happy to help here.

Here's an example of how this would work:

1. Customer signs up for mailing list
2. You attempt to opt them in to your mailing list and a message is sent to them asking them to opt in.
3. If the customer clicks the "yes, opt me in" link in that email, they would be taken to the opt in confirmation page.

Simply signing up for the newsletter would be a single (i.e. unverified) opt-in. Our Email Marketing system currently requires double opt ins for clients.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again. As of right now I have around 2000 people signed up for our newsletter. But the only way that it is setup at the moment is a checkbox opting them in when they register for an account on our website. No double opt-in needed for it there. When I put the Mailing List module in the left column you can sign up for our newsletter and you don't need to double opt-in. Just enter your e-mail address and you are added to our mailing list. I have tested this many times and it works just fine. My main intent when I started this thread was to find out how to put the Mailing List module in the footer and not in the left column? I copy the code exactly as it is listed when the mailing list is in the left module. However, I cannot get it to work at all. Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with their help. It is very appreciated!

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Aug 18 2014, 02:40 PM
Post #16

You'll want to just use the applicable nsScript: <ns:MailingList /> to insert the mailing list code in the header or footer.

+Quote Post
PowderDay
post Sep 23 2015, 09:22 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,942

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Aug 18 2014, 02:40 PM) *
You'll want to just use the applicable nsScript: <ns:MailingList /> to insert the mailing list code in the header or footer.

why can't we put this in the body of a page - like the contact us page?

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Oct 2 2015, 11:38 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (PowderDay @ Sep 23 2015, 10:22 AM) *
why can't we put this in the body of a page - like the contact us page?

I couldn't really speak to that myself, however you can absolutely use JavaScript to relocate the mailinglist element once it's been added to the header/footer. I've actually had to set that up a few times on client projects.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 05:17 PM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates