nsForum logo

Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Responsive Design Examples., Any NS Stores implemented....
ebead
post Mar 31 2015, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 2,238

Are there examples of any NS stores that have implemented responsive designs?
I have some basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, jquery etc and was wondering if there are any examples available.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Mar 31 2015, 11:44 AM
Post #2

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 19,888

Ebead,

Thanks for posting. Here are two example/demos we created:

www.ns-responsive.com

www.ns-responsive-plus.com

Hope that helps!

+Quote Post
mdsource
post Mar 31 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 102

QUOTE (ebead @ Mar 31 2015, 12:19 PM) *
I have some basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, jquery etc and was wondering if there are any examples available.

I see the example provided is designed by Solid Cactus "a Web.Com" company. Is this style available through our control panel as a theme choice?

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Mar 31 2015, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Mdsource,

We currently don't have a responsive "template" available at this time. Those sites are examples of custom work that we put together to demonstrate our design/development skills.

Setting up a responsive theme/design would require a solid knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

+Quote Post
mdsource
post Mar 31 2015, 02:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Mar 31 2015, 03:08 PM) *
Mdsource,

We currently don't have a responsive "template" available at this time. Those sites are examples of custom work that we put together to demonstrate our design/development skills.

Setting up a responsive theme/design would require a solid knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the quick response. My only question is if NS/Web.Com sites are able to work with WordPress in order to use their responsive design capacity?

+Quote Post
ebead
post Mar 31 2015, 02:54 PM
Post #6

Thanks for quick response.
If i buy responsive design template from outside will i be able to incorporate it for my store.
I see that NS does not allow all the areas where i can insert my HTML. I am trying to understand that if I have the template will I be able to use it for my store.

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Mar 31 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #7

Simply purchasing a 3rd party template wouldn't be a silver bullet solution. If you're using 3rd party code, it would have to be adapated to work with your store.

You can use any HTML/CSS/Javascript you want in the areas you have access to (of course staying within doctype restrictions and such). It will take knowledge of web development practices to be able to implement such a thing especially in the scenario you've described.

Remember that poor coding can negatively impact your SEO pressence as well as slow down your pages. When in doubt, get an expert to help or at least get you started. There's nothing wrong with trying things yourself, just don't experiment with your breadwinner, so to speak.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

+Quote Post
advantageecommer...
post Mar 31 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,148

Nice examples Ian and everyone here appreciates your efforts. Your efforts to get the google trusted stores incorporated into the system should get your promoted to CEO.

It really is a shame though that NS doesnt offer responsive themes at no cost as part of their templates like a lot of the competition. Responsive themes are becoming the STANDARD in order to have a online store that can compete. This should be part of the offering from NS to stay relevant and competitive.

Just another reason NS is so far behind. There are and have been so many good things about the ns platform in the past.
But not staying current on standards.... google trusted stores, responsive themes, email that actually works, feeds that do not require manipulation to work, this puts ns at an extreme disadvantage! NS USED to roll theses features out as they were being introduced on the web, not years later!

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Mar 31 2015, 11:06 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (advantageecommerce @ Mar 31 2015, 06:28 PM) *
Nice examples Ian and everyone here appreciates your efforts. Your efforts to get the google trusted stores incorporated into the system should get your promoted to CEO.

I'll quote you on that at my next performance review (IMG:http://forums.networksolutions.com/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

I appreciate your feedback. Trust me, you don't have to sell me (or many others for that matter) on the benefits of having templates that are responsive. As you all should know by now, I don't speak for the company officially. But I do have my own opinions of course (IMG:http://forums.networksolutions.com/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

One reality is that responsive templates would really require an overhaul of the styles area. There are numerous things that would need to be redone to accommodate the additional settings needed to make the template more "turnkey".

That really just means it will take some time to be able to iron out a good way to deliver those to customers. After all, there's no point in such an offering if it isn't useful to you.

Again though, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm honestly just excited that people are finally taking an interest in responsive design. It's a shame that a penalty from Google forced many sites to finally consider responsive design, which has been a "thing" for the last 2 years or more. *

*Note: This is a statement regarding websites in general, not the community of this thread specifically (IMG:http://forums.networksolutions.com/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

Does it cost a bit more money? Perhaps. But ultimately it provides a truly superior experience for a customer. I've actually stopped shopping at places online (for personal purchases) because the site's user experience was so inconsistent and frustrating I just couldn't stand it.

Responsive design shouldn't just equal a "google requirement". It's a focus on your customer and providing them with the best possible experience. Customers want to be able to "buy" something, which feels great. Feeling great about your purchase is a huge factor in customer retention and repeat sales. Part of an effortless browsing/shopping experience online is being able to view the same article/product/widget on any device, at your convenience and consume your content your way.

That's a powerful feeling that shouldn't be underestimated. This is a huge reason why I want to be an advocate for Responsive Web Design (RWD) amongst clients. So feel free to continue pelting me with questions. Just please leave out the rotten tomatoes. Its not that I don't want to hear them, but I want to make sure questions can get answered and general discussion/opinion can be kept inside another thread.

That was WAY longer than I thought. I hope no one minds my soapboxing there a bit.

+Quote Post
ebead
post Apr 1 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #10

There's nothing wrong with trying things yourself, just don't experiment with your breadwinner, so to speak.

I appreciate your concerns on experimenting with the store and restrict store owners. And i totally get it what NS is trying to do.

I've actually stopped shopping at places online (for personal purchases) because the site's user experience was so inconsistent and frustrating I just couldn't stand it.

Right now the mobile design is so restrictive, apart from logo, footer and choosing products for main page there is hardly any customization that we store owners can do, just like main store design where we have the option of how our products are displayed in the list and in the detail view, open the design of products at least. allow other areas of mobile site to be customized. With your comment above can NS open Mobile design so we can match the mobile site with our desktop site.
I hope this is the minimum that NS can do to retain their customers.

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Apr 1 2015, 10:13 AM
Post #11

I don't really have an answer for your question I'm afraid. There are limitless possibilities of what can be done. I just don't have any sort of ETA/timeline regarding these things.

On a personal note though:

When it comes to mobile versions versus responsive design, responsive design is the clear winner. Even the default option was more customizable, I still would always advocate the use of a responsive design instead.

Here's why:

Mobile Site Versions (for lack of a better term) rely on a process called "User Agent Detection" to determine what version of the site to show a visitor. This is a step by step of how it works:

1. Storefront page is requested by a web browser
2. Shopping cart "sniffs" the user agent requesting the page (i.e. what browser is being used, what device is the person on, etc)
3. If a match is found, the mobile version is served to the visitor.
4. If a match isn't found, the desktop site shows.

Many companies provide this type of capability for either a SaaS cart (like ours) or just as a feature on their own custom sites. Generally speaking, it's not considered a best practice. If you consider what I mentioned above, you may notice that any devices that aren't in the definitions will not see the mobile site version. So, if a new device comes out, that new device may or may not get the experience you'd expect (i.e. mobile instead of desktop).

With a responsive design, you take total control of the user experience. You can design the storefront to show the right things to the right customers without having to make compromises or provide them with jarring/different experience.

Now, there are of course financial considerations with setups of these types. I 100% get that. Ultimately you (as a business owner) should always do the thing you think is best for your business. I guess what I'm saying is this: If you're going to invest any money/time into making your site better, I would consider a responsive solution before anything else.

Remember: Even if your site is "simpler", responsive still would be a great fit. If anything, it just means that the labor required to complete the project will be less (i.e. cheaper).

Hope that helps! Keep any questions coming.

+Quote Post
mdsource
post Apr 1 2015, 10:14 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (ebead @ Apr 1 2015, 11:05 AM) *
I appreciate your concerns on experimenting with the store and restrict store owners. And i totally get it what NS is trying to do.

Right now the mobile design is so restrictive, apart from logo, footer and choosing products for main page there is hardly any customization that we store owners can do, just like main store design where we have the option of how our products are displayed in the list and in the detail view, open the design of products at least. allow other areas of mobile site to be customized. With your comment above can NS open Mobile design so we can match the mobile site with our desktop site.
I hope this is the minimum that NS can do to retain their customers.

There is outside help/info: RWD from 2012
Maybe a good time to start a special section on the forums for this topic with input from anyone who is going through the process/evolution to Responsive Design using web.com/NS

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Apr 1 2015, 10:26 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (mdsource @ Apr 1 2015, 11:14 AM) *
Maybe a good time to start a special section on the forums for this topic

We already have a Coding/Programming thread, so I would want to have such things directed to that area.

+Quote Post
ebead
post Apr 1 2015, 11:28 AM
Post #14

Ian,
Can you share any live stores on NS that have responsive design implemented.

QUOTE (mdsource @ Apr 1 2015, 11:14 AM) *
There is outside help/info: RWD from 2012
Maybe a good time to start a special section on the forums for this topic with input from anyone who is going through the process/evolution to Responsive Design using web.com/NS

Thanks mdsource.

+Quote Post
mdsource
post Apr 1 2015, 12:16 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (ebead @ Apr 1 2015, 12:28 PM) *
Ian,

Thanks mdsource.

Not to kill any hope but..
Web.Com site is not responsive
Network Solutions Site is not responsive

Here is a link to a web.com article that discusses responsive design: Article and links about responsive design That page is responsive. Go Figure??

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Apr 1 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (ebead @ Apr 1 2015, 12:28 PM) *

I've asked and I can't give out a client's website for such a purpose without their permission. However, you can ask our sales team to provide you with some "real world" examples (no obligation of course).

Hope that helps! If a client who has a responsive design wants to post their own URL in here, they are of course welcome to do so.

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Apr 1 2015, 01:17 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (mdsource @ Apr 1 2015, 01:16 PM) *
Not to kill any hope but..
Web.Com site is not responsive
Network Solutions Site is not responsive

Here is a link to a web.com article that discusses responsive design: Article and links about responsive design That page is responsive. Go Figure??

You bring up a good point here! This is one of those situations where an organization needs to decide between a more "native" approach and a responsive site.

For businesses that have complex front end logic, a responsive site may not be feasible to implement. So instead they would opt for the (normally less ideal) "mobile site version". This type of thing is done by companies like Amazon and Newegg as well.

One a separate note: The team that controls product and does custom work (my team) don't have ownership over those sites. Its' handled by a different team all together.

Hope that helps!

+Quote Post
robinski21
post Apr 6 2015, 04:05 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,857

Came across this thread, and figured I'd help out others who are researching responsive design with respect to nsCommerceSpace™, so that folks can see a real-live example of a responsive NetSol store.

Our store was redesigned last year to be fully responsive. We had NetSol (Solid Cactus) do the basic design, and then we did a LOT of fine-tune customization ourselves around that. Our site is:

www.BillyTheTree.com

Don't underestimate the scope of a project like this - there are MANY things to consider, especially if your site is larger, like ours. Be prepared to spend some time tweaking things yourself. If you're not intermediate-advanced with HTML, CSS, and somewhat familiar with JavaScript, be prepared to pay a little extra than you might initially imagine (that will vary, of course, based on the size and complexity of your site).

In the end, it is absolutely worth it (assuming you have a legitimate business, of course ;-), but just be sure to carefully consider every angle of this, and ask questions anytime you're remotely unsure of something.

Ian is a fantastic resource, and helped us greatly with our redesign.

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Apr 6 2015, 04:32 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (robinski21 @ Apr 6 2015, 05:05 PM) *

Robinkski,

Thanks very much for the kind words there! I'm super pleased we were able to help deliver you a solution you are happy with (which as I always say, is the whole point). Your site is a great example of a highly customized responsive design—thanks for sharing that with everyone!

One thing though I would've mentioned: your site utilizes a customized search/filtering "widget" (for lack of a better term) that I am a huge fan of. There are a few other merchants that use this company and I really like the setup on all of their sites (including yours).

For those who don't know:

I'm referring to a search enhancement "widget" by a company called Search Spring (searchspring.net). It basically reads your product data and then allows you to do auto complete/suggested searches, filtering, etc....on any page you wish! Also, their support (based on my limited interactions with them) is fantastic. They will assist their clients with implementing the code on their storefront as part of the price of the service (i.e. no extra fees for installation/support, including on-going changes).

Its the sort of thing only a larger company would use (given the price ranges I've seen) but they really do have a fantastic program going on there.

Obligatory Note: I am absolutely not recommending Search Spring on behalf of Web.com/Network Solutions. This is purely my personal opinion only.

Again, thanks for sharing. Your site looks fantastic! If you have any analytics info to share since your changeover we'd love to hear more about it (shoot me a PM if you wish to share). We always love hearing about higher ROIs/Conversions (its the nerd stuff that makes the job fun).

+Quote Post
webtree
post Apr 10 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,651

Hi , we currently use one of the provided templates and I was wondering if any of the templates that come with the hosting packages can be altered to be responsive? Instead of doing a whole new custom template? If so are there people on here that do it ?

Thanks in advance

+Quote Post
ecomIanS
post Apr 10 2015, 04:11 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (webtree @ Apr 10 2015, 04:40 PM) *
Hi , we currently use one of the provided templates and I was wondering if any of the templates that come with the hosting packages can be altered to be responsive? Instead of doing a whole new custom template? If so are there people on here that do it ?

Thanks in advance

You wouldn't really 1.) want to do so or 2.) be able to do so easily. The CSS that styles those templates is not directly accessible and you would need to get in there to the HTML itself (i.e. not use the WYSIWYG) in addition to editing custom CSS stylesheets to be able to do so.

To be fair, that's kind of the same journey you take when you build your own, except its more cumbersome and "hack-ish". Keep in mind that you can make a responsive site look like just about anything you want.

I would nonetheless encourage you to pursue a more modern design than the templates we have at present. As many have pointed out, they were designed years ago and don't really account for more established trends/practices in the responsive design arena.

Besides, new designs are exciting (as long as they're good) and make people interested in exploring your site to see what cool things they can find.

I hope this helps. Feel free to post if you have any other questions. If you want to start a discussion around coding a responsive design, please make sure you open a new thread in the Coding and Programming forum.

Thanks for your question!

+Quote Post
PowderDay
post Sep 23 2015, 09:38 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,942

QUOTE (ebead @ Mar 31 2015, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE (ecomIanS @ Mar 31 2015, 11:44 AM) *
Ebead,

Thanks for posting. Here are two example/demos we created:

www.ns-responsive.com

www.ns-responsive-plus.com

Hope that helps!

^ both of those are now dead links

QUOTE (robinski21 @ Apr 6 2015, 04:05 PM) *
Came across this thread, and figured I'd help out others who are researching responsive design with respect to nsCommerceSpace™™, so that folks can see a real-live example of a responsive NetSol store.

Our store was redesigned last year to be fully responsive. We had NetSol (Solid Cactus) do the basic design, and then we did a LOT of fine-tune customization ourselves around that. Our site is:

www.BillyTheTree.com

Don't underestimate the scope of a project like this - there are MANY things to consider, especially if your site is larger, like ours. Be prepared to spend some time tweaking things yourself. If you're not intermediate-advanced with HTML, CSS, and somewhat familiar with JavaScript, be prepared to pay a little extra than you might initially imagine (that will vary, of course, based on the size and complexity of your site).

In the end, it is absolutely worth it (assuming you have a legitimate business, of course ;-), but just be sure to carefully consider every angle of this, and ask questions anytime you're remotely unsure of something.

From all my searching this one is the only site that seems to be responsive. Any body else?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 21st July 2017 - 07:13 PM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates