Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dnn Nuke 5.4.2 Upgrade, Upgrade to DNN 5.4.2 from 4.9.0
jseidell
post May 22 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 8,802

Just got off a 20 minute call with tech support that should of been 5 minutes but whoever I got was extremely confused of what I was talking about. (IMG:http://forums.networksolutions.com/style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

But here is the information I got.

I am running a basic hosting package and running into some trouble with skins and wanting newer modules for DNN and need to get upgraded from the 4.9 to the latest release 5.4. I was hoping tech support could just RDP into my box and run the package and voila. But atlas no. After 5 minutes of explaining DNN and how to upgrade, and explaining that I can't run a windows setup to upgrade (becuase no RDP since it is a hosting package NOT server), and then 15 minutes of him asking someone who knows something, he responded that they will have to upgrade their production server image with the new version of DNN and then it would push out to the hosting packages. They are catious about doing this to prevent an automatic/unexpected change on hosting packages. They expected to upgrade to the newer version within the next 30 days (deadline June 22, 2010, I'm holding my breath!! LOL). I'm unsure of whether this was truly on their radar or just brought up because of my call, seeing as the 4.9.0 release we are using was released prior to 2009.

However, this could pose a real problem running DNN on a hosted package. I may take a nice long weekend and then they upgrade DNN and whammo, every site I got is down if DNN released an non-backwards compatible upgrade. But I'm very frustrated about keeping finding all the bugs, modules, and whiz-bangs are just a couple of versions ahead of the current DNN version. I think NS needs to put some thought into allowing us to selectively upgrade the DNN, but I don't know how possible that is with some of the responses I got for updating a production server image which would automatically upgrade my package.

Regards,

Jason S
Solid Snake
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jseidell
post Jul 5 2010, 01:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,802

hmm, still waiting....

+Quote Post
enroute
post Jul 23 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,501

QUOTE (jseidell @ Jul 5 2010, 02:07 PM) *
hmm, still waiting....

According to NS tech support, we should be able to upload the DNN upgrade package to overwrite the admin folder files, per the DNN upgrade instructions. I haven't gotten that to work, and NS Tech Support has been utterly useless. They did tell me at one point, that I should delete the admin folder entirely and upload the new one... but I'm not buying that. It sounds like they are guessing, as the upgrade doesn't contain all of the required admin files.

I have escalated the situation to the next level in support. I'll post here when they get back to me.

FYI - from what I'm reading elsewhere, you don't want to upgrade straight to 5.4 from 4.9. You want to do 5.1.4, then 5.2.3, then 5.4.1

+Quote Post
BenB
post Dec 30 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,902

QUOTE (enroute @ Jul 23 2010, 12:56 PM) *
According to NS tech support, we should be able to upload the DNN upgrade package to overwrite the admin folder files, per the DNN upgrade instructions. I haven't gotten that to work, and NS Tech Support has been utterly useless. They did tell me at one point, that I should delete the admin folder entirely and upload the new one... but I'm not buying that. It sounds like they are guessing, as the upgrade doesn't contain all of the required admin files.

I have escalated the situation to the next level in support. I'll post here when they get back to me.

FYI - from what I'm reading elsewhere, you don't want to upgrade straight to 5.4 from 4.9. You want to do 5.1.4, then 5.2.3, then 5.4.1

From my limited experience with the NS Shared Hosting DotNetNuke, after the 5th reinstall, I gave up. End users need not upgrade a supposed turn-key "one-click" solution. I simply upgraded modules and it crashed, multiple times. Database back-ups did not back up many bins, it basically backed up NS base containers. Luckily I had no major data on it, but did lose 4 hours of work. As soon as it is altered from the default install, it became unstable due to permissions and config issues. Luckily, I only wasted 2 days.

If you alter it, it will break and you will be calling Tech support. The install is 1 yr+ behind the current version. It would be better if they didn't offer this at all, most of the better purchasable modules cannot be used with their version. I understand many use it and it works great..good for them. I'll try something different.

+Quote Post
Develomation
post Mar 1 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,511

Funny to read this post, stating that NS is going to "upgrade" their DNN to 5.4 no later than June of 2010 (almost a year ago). NS is still running 4.9, as they have for years. As usual lately, NS doesn't have a clue. Their tech support has deteriorated to the point of being wholly incompetent, and their service to customers is frustrating and discouraging at best. If I could easily move all of my sites to another host, I'd do it in a minute. Basically, NS sucks.

QUOTE (jseidell @ May 22 2010, 01:23 PM) *
Just got off a 20 minute call with tech support that should of been 5 minutes but whoever I got was extremely confused of what I was talking about. (IMG:http://forums.networksolutions.com/style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

But here is the information I got.

I am running a basic hosting package and running into some trouble with skins and wanting newer modules for DNN and need to get upgraded from the 4.9 to the latest release 5.4. I was hoping tech support could just RDP into my box and run the package and voila. But atlas no. After 5 minutes of explaining DNN and how to upgrade, and explaining that I can't run a windows setup to upgrade (becuase no RDP since it is a hosting package NOT server), and then 15 minutes of him asking someone who knows something, he responded that they will have to upgrade their production server image with the new version of DNN and then it would push out to the hosting packages. They are catious about doing this to prevent an automatic/unexpected change on hosting packages. They expected to upgrade to the newer version within the next 30 days (deadline June 22, 2010, I'm holding my breath!! LOL). I'm unsure of whether this was truly on their radar or just brought up because of my call, seeing as the 4.9.0 release we are using was released prior to 2009.

However, this could pose a real problem running DNN on a hosted package. I may take a nice long weekend and then they upgrade DNN and whammo, every site I got is down if DNN released an non-backwards compatible upgrade. But I'm very frustrated about keeping finding all the bugs, modules, and whiz-bangs are just a couple of versions ahead of the current DNN version. I think NS needs to put some thought into allowing us to selectively upgrade the DNN, but I don't know how possible that is with some of the responses I got for updating a production server image which would automatically upgrade my package.

Regards,

Jason S
Solid Snake

+Quote Post
Develomation
post Mar 1 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,511

I've upgraded all of my 4.9 sites directly to 5.6.1, no thanks whatsoever to NS. I unzip the entire DNN upgrade package to my local hard drive, and then use FileZilla to move all the files to the server. Be aware that you have to completely remove the Chat module both any pages it's on and then uninstall it from your DNN before you upgrade, if you want things to go seamlessly. The Chat module is a big problem. Keep in mind that if anything goes wrong, NS's response is basically "tough s!@$--you're problem".

QUOTE (enroute @ Jul 23 2010, 01:56 PM) *

+Quote Post
ScottLea
post Apr 10 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,827

Please please please a newbie -- I'm having the same problem (I think), my site is shared hosting (3 times now) -- I install 4.9 from NS dashboard, then attemped the 5.6 upgrade. I unzipped all the "upgrade" files to my local machine, and uploaded to the respective folders on the sever. Ran the install: It appears to install all the files just fine, then when I access the page I get the dreaded "Domain Name Does Not Exist In The Database" blah blah blah, ultimately I find info that I need to change an entry in the PortalAlias Table. I see that most people use SQL Server Enterprise Management to gain access to the MS-SQL DB to make the changes.

I don't have SQL-Server tools (that I know of).

Is there an EASY way I can make the changes using MS-Access or Excel from my local machine to the DB on the server? I've seen hints of how to do this, but not enough detail to show how to open the DB successfully.

Also, in the NS MS-SQL management form, I can only see my DB IP address. It won't show me the username or password even if I hit "(show)". The username and password are just "-" (dashes). So even if am told how to do it, I'm not sure it will work without the username/password.... :-/

THANKS-IN-ADVANCE

--Scott

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 12:24 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates