Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Migrating Dnn Sites To Ns
MikeVan
post Jun 10 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 4,574

I have an existing DNN site that I want to migrate to NS but I have hit a roadblock trying to figure out how to upload a SQL backup of the existing site and then restore it to my NS SQL Server. (BTW - the set up guide shared by Charles Self at Narrowgate was immensely helpful installing DNN on NS.)

Here are the roadblocks I have encountered.

1) On my SQL info page (Web Hosting>>Manage Web Hosting>>Configurations>>Database Manager), there is no DSN, username or password shown (regardless of the show/hide setting) so I can't connect via SQL Server Managment Studio. Only the server name is displayed. If I select the database and click on Edit there is no additional information on this page either.
2) I get an "Access denied" error (550) trying to upload a SQL bckup file to my NS SQL backup directory. Even if I was sucessful uploading a backup, since the physical file name on the old SQL server is different than the NS path, it will have to be changed prior to executing the restore. (I assume someone at NS would do this.)
3) Customer service has been completely non-responsive.

NS seems new to hosting DNN. Has anybody migrated an existing DNN site to NS? I would love to get some feedback on how you did it.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
narrowgate
post Jun 11 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,189

MikeVan,
Have you figured out a solution yet?

Also, thanks for the comment on the doc I posted a while back!

Charles Self
Narrow Gate Solutions

www.narrowgatesolutions.com
dotnetnuke.narrowgatesolutions.com - DNN Related Resources
twitter.com/chuckself

+Quote Post
MikeVan
post Jun 17 2009, 07:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,574

Thanks for the reply.

The info for 1) was in the web.config file, of course. I completely spaced that one.

As for 2) I did get a reply from support eventually. They advised me to upload a .bak file to the htdocs folder and then submit a request to them to transfer the file to the SQL backup folder. I uploaded the bak file but NS Support hasn't transferred the file over to the correct folder yet so I can't restore it yet.

There has to be an easier/faster way to do this. I have been looking for a better process. I found ()BackupScript 3.1.0 for DNN4/5 & GoDaddy on Snowcovered it looks like it would automate this process. They claim to be compatible with all the major hosting sites. The SQL tools at Redgate look useful too. Any experience with either of these tools?

+Quote Post
valeriec
post Jun 11 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,404

I've run into the same roadblock.
1. I cannot get a backup database file to the correct folder.
2. Restore in enterprise manager gives a permissions error.

Anyone resolve this yet?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 12:23 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates