nsForum logo

Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ftp File Publisher, Patching Joomla: OK to use FTP File Publisher instead of an FTP Client
Solimarco
post Mar 10 2012, 07:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 16,826

I have a few of questions regarding Network Solutions FTP File Publisher (working on a live site):

1) Is it OK to use Network Solutions FTP File Publisher INSTEAD of using an FTP Client like FileZilla?
2) What is the best computer and browser to do it with (eg PC with IE8 or Mac with FireFox for example)
3) Is it best to upload a .zip or .tar.gz for a multiple upload (eg, in may case, a Joomla patch 1.5.13 to 1.5.25)
4) There doesn't appear to be an EXTRACT funtion in FTP File Publisher. Do you just click the zipped-up file to extract?
5) If so, is there an option to overwrite files as opposed to folders?
6) Should I select Binary or ASCII?
7) Are there Passive Mode Settings in Network Solutions FTP File Publisher
8) Is the upload secure?
9) Is is best to disable the Firewall and A/Virus while doing this?
10) Is is best to unpublish the site while doing this?
11) If there are problems, will a simple restore of Website Backup and Database backup get site back the way it was?

Lots of question(!) but if anyone knows the answers (especially someone from NSI), I'd appreciate it. AND any exta advice!!

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Craig
post Mar 11 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1,317

QUOTE (Solimarco @ Mar 10 2012, 07:00 AM) *
I have a few of questions regarding Network Solutions FTP File Publisher (working on a live site):

1) Is it OK to use Network Solutions FTP File Publisher INSTEAD of using an FTP Client like FileZilla?
2) What is the best computer and browser to do it with (eg PC with IE8 or Mac with FireFox for example)
3) Is it best to upload a .zip or .tar.gz for a multiple upload (eg, in may case, a Joomla patch 1.5.13 to 1.5.25)
4) There doesn't appear to be an EXTRACT funtion in FTP File Publisher. Do you just click the zipped-up file to extract?
5) If so, is there an option to overwrite files as opposed to folders?
6) Should I select Binary or ASCII?
7) Are there Passive Mode Settings in Network Solutions FTP File Publisher
8) Is the upload secure?
9) Is is best to disable the Firewall and A/Virus while doing this?
10) Is is best to unpublish the site while doing this?
11) If there are problems, will a simple restore of Website Backup and Database backup get site back the way it was?

Lots of question(!) but if anyone knows the answers (especially someone from NSI), I'd appreciate it. AND any exta advice!!

Thanks

1) The FTP File Publisher is a Java FTP client. It is fine to use it for small file transfers, but for larger transfers a full FTP client (like FileZilla) would be a better choice.
2) Any computer with the current version Java installed should work with the FTP File Publisher.
3) A tar.gz file will be smaller. If the file is too large, you won't be able to extract it on the server though.
4) The only place you can extract a compressed file (.zip or .tar.gz) is in the FileManager.
5) For global overwrite settings, you would need to use a full FTP client.
6) The transfer type depends on the file. Text files (.html, .php, .asp, .pl) typically need to be uploaded in ASCII mode (unless the install instructions for an application tell you otherwise). Non-text files (.jpg, .gif, .zip, .swf, etc.) need to be uploaded in Binary.
7) There is no setting for Passive mode in the FTP File Publisher.
8) The only secure upload would be to use sFTP. This is available on our Unix hosting packages on any FTP user that has access to the root ("/") folder. FileZilla supports sFTP. You just need to choose port 22 instead of 21.
9) I would not disable firewall/antivirus unless you have to. You should be able to configure your firewall to allow the FTP File Publisher to connect out on port 21.
10) You don't really need to "un-publish" your site. You can just upload the changed files or upload the entire site.
11) If you are only uploading files, you wold just need to do a Website Backup Restore. Automatic backups are made in the early morning hours every morning, and the most recent 7 days of backups are retained.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 10:47 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates