nsForum logo

Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cron Jobs, Setting up cron jobs on nsHosting Shared (Small-Unix)
Hamman
post Nov 7 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 6,188

Hi, I'm the technical consultant for a site hosted by Network Solutions®. The package we have is the nsHosting Shared (Small-Unix). I'd like to find out how to configure/setup cron jobs, or how to access the crontab program.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonB
post Nov 7 2009, 05:26 PM
Post #2

Network Solutions Technical Support

Group: NetSol Staff
Member No.: 5,879

cron jobs are configured by selecting nsHosting -> Toolbox -> Scheduled Tasks (down toward the bottom of the page under Configurations). Your cron jobs are limited to a 5 minute execution time and you may not run a task more frequently than twice per hour. There is no mechanism to interact directly with cron with your own crontab file.

+Quote Post
Hamman
post Nov 7 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,188

Thanks, this looks helpful. Just to confirm, I can have a PHP script as the command to run?

+Quote Post
JonB
post Nov 7 2009, 05:52 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Hamman @ Nov 7 2009, 05:43 PM) *
Thanks, this looks helpful. Just to confirm, I can have a PHP script as the command to run?

Absolutely! You may have to set the file permissions to 775 which is not necessary for php scripts run directly within your site. You should also enable logging so you can track errors: nsHosting -> Site Stats -> Raw Log Files.

+Quote Post
Metxtli
post Nov 11 2009, 09:11 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,931

Hi there,

I have a Windows hosting package and I cannot see the Scheduled Tasks on the panel, where can I found it?

Thanks a lot!!

+Quote Post
JonB
post Nov 11 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Metxtli @ Nov 11 2009, 09:19 AM) *
Hi there,

I have a Windows hosting package and I cannot see the Scheduled Tasks on the panel, where can I found it?

Thanks a lot!!

We currently offer Scheduled Tasks (aka cron jobs) on Unix hosting pacages.

+Quote Post
Metxtli
post Nov 11 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,931

QUOTE (Metxtli @ Nov 11 2009, 10:19 AM) *
Hi there,

Thanks a lot!!

QUOTE (JonB @ Nov 11 2009, 10:21 AM) *
We currently offer Scheduled Tasks (aka cron jobs) on Unix hosting pacages.

But, in your page says otherwise! In other options where is not applicable to windows package is specified(Only Unix) or (Only Windows). In one phone call one of Support people tell us that this option is available also on Windows Packages..

+Quote Post
JonB
post Nov 12 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Metxtli @ Nov 11 2009, 09:52 AM) *
But, in your page says otherwise! In other options where is not applicable to windows package is specified(Only Unix) or (Only Windows). In one phone call one of Support people tell us that this option is available also on Windows Packages..

I apologize for the confusion. I will submit for a correction to our site to clarify that we offer cron jobs (scheduled tasks) on Unix hosting packages only. I will also forward your concern about being misinformed when you called.

+Quote Post
kyboy
post Jan 5 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,243

QUOTE (JonB @ Nov 12 2009, 07:45 AM) *
I apologize for the confusion. I will submit for a correction to our site to clarify that we offer cron jobs (scheduled tasks) on Unix hosting packages only. I will also forward your concern about being misinformed when you called.

Here it is over a month and a half later and your hosting packages info is still not updated to reflect that Windows hosting packages have no cron support. Please advise.

+Quote Post
Thanesh
post Feb 1 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,704

Hi JonB,

I need to execute one php file daily by using cron jobs. I have already worked in this for other hosting services like bluehost, lunarpages. I have configured the crone job but i can't able to select that appropriate php file by using browse button.

When i click on browse button the pop ll display as blank. i can't able to see any files / folders in that pop up browse window.

My file in the following path /htdocs/*****/*****/*****/*****/private_message.php

I tried to give this path manually in that text box. but after save the link s automatically change to "php/htdocs/*****/*****/*****/*****/private_message.php"

Please help me for this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Thanesh

+Quote Post
JonB
post Feb 1 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #11

Sorry for the confusion about the dropdown. But as you discovered you can enter the path to your PHP file manually. Regardless of the method, however, the system will alway prefix it with php as it did in your case. This is normal.

+Quote Post
gtjones
post Feb 15 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 16,576

I have a fairly simple php script that I have set up as a CRON job...as suggested above, I've set permission to 775...enabled error logging....and nothing happens nothing in the error log...nothing to my e-mail...nothing.

The script works perfectly when I run from the browser...

There is only the one CRON job....please help!

Gregory

+Quote Post
JonB
post Feb 15 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #13

Gregory,

Sorry to hear of the difficulties you're having. Check out this post:

http://forums.networksolutions.com/general...html#entry27087

+Quote Post
adabellini
post Mar 28 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,032

my scheduled cron jobs have not worked since the php upgrade. does anyone know why this might be. for the past two weeks no one at ns has been able to provide any insight

+Quote Post
adabellini
post Mar 30 2012, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 17,032

Hi Gregory,

If you find a solution to this would you let me know, ada@microdolly.com
I've tried for two weeks and really gotten nowhere with network solutions.
Like you, the php program works perfectly from the browser, so (although network solutions keeps telling me that it is the program and closing my service requests with "resolved" statuses), I'm pretty sure the problem is in the parameters in the scheduled task setup (which, by the way, had been working fine for two years until two weeks ago when they upgraded PHP).

If you send me your email address, I will let you know if I find a fix.

Ada

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 04:35 PM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates