Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joomla Upgrade From 1.6.3 To 1.7.2
ricosal
post Nov 15 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 14,353

Is there a "how to" or instructions on how to upgrade the website from 1.6.3 to 1.7.2? Or is there an automated way to upgrade? thanks.

Rico
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DaveY
post Dec 11 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #2

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 7,411

QUOTE (ricosal @ Nov 15 2011, 05:13 PM) *
Is there a "how to" or instructions on how to upgrade the website from 1.6.3 to 1.7.2? Or is there an automated way to upgrade? thanks.

Rico

http://docs.joomla.org/Upgrading_1.6.5_to_1.7

Be warned: The joomla forums are littered with tales of woe upgrading joomla. I upgraded from 1.5.22 - 1.7.3 via "Jupgrade" and tested for days. When I cut over live, the new site looked just as I wanted but I could no longer use extension manager or media manager and still cannot upload plugins / extensions or templates. This is not a N/S site but be warned that upgrading joomla is far from easy or trouble free. Honestly, I could have rebuilt my site from scratch 5 times over in the time I've spent trying to fix it. Unfortunately that site's host has an issue as all my subsequent joomla installs, even from scratch and on other domains fail the same way.

Before you start, make sure you can backup AND RESTORE. I found out that the akeeba backup worked great, but the restore didn't. When you test, make sure you test all levels of user access; and clear out all cache, cookies & history from the site with EVERY change you make, including the cache for the browser and site via the admin panel. I found several issues this way. Make sure your templates and extensions all work at the the current level of joomla - one of mine said it did work on 1.7 in one place, and didn't work on 1.7 in another. I took a chance it would work. It didn't work.

If it doesn't, be prepared to live without. If your template isn't 1.7 compatible, upgrade this BEFORE the joomla upgrade.

If you do a "jupgrade" update, make sure that when you cut over, you re-check everything. This could take several hours. I didn't find the issue with extension manager until about 5 hours after I cut over to live.

Good luck!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 04:38 PM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates