nsForum logo

Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Install Wordpress Into The Web Root Directory?
MarkHunter
post Mar 19 2014, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 22,595

The one click install of wordpress only gives you an option to install it into a folder, but I want to install wordpress into the root of my domain (being markhunter.net and not markhunter.net/website)?

How can this be done? I tried to manually install Wordpress but it would not connect to the database even with the correct credentials. Seems quite weird.

Thanks in advance!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Craig
post Mar 19 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #2

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1,317

QUOTE (MarkHunter @ Mar 19 2014, 02:12 PM) *
The one click install of wordpress only gives you an option to install it into a folder, but I want to install wordpress into the root of my domain (being markhunter.net and not markhunter.net/website)?

How can this be done? I tried to manually install Wordpress but it would not connect to the database even with the correct credentials. Seems quite weird.

Thanks in advance!

The installer will only install in a sub-folder. Make sure you are using the correct database host in your manual config. The default is "localhost" which would be the case if MySQL was on the same machine as the web server. We use a separate server. You need to replace "localhost" with "mysqlv___." You can find the right server on the page where you configure the database.

+Quote Post
MarkHunter
post Mar 20 2014, 03:48 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Craig @ Mar 19 2014, 10:41 PM) *
The installer will only install in a sub-folder. Make sure you are using the correct database host in your manual config. The default is "localhost" which would be the case if MySQL was on the same machine as the web server. We use a separate server. You need to replace "localhost" with "mysqlv___." You can find the right server on the page where you configure the database.

Yeah, I used the correct database details and it said it could not connect to it.

It has to be in the root directory, so that I can transfer the db from the development site which is on different hosting.

+Quote Post
MarkHunter
post Mar 20 2014, 04:03 AM
Post #4

It says: Can't select database.

I have the server of: mysqlv105 for my database. All the credentials are correct and it still wont install.

+Quote Post
Craig
post Mar 20 2014, 04:44 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (MarkHunter @ Mar 20 2014, 04:03 AM) *
It says: Can't select database.

I have the server of: mysqlv105 for my database. All the credentials are correct and it still wont install.

Make sure you have the database name, user and password set correctly. I see the site connecting to the database created by the auto install at this time. There are 4 settings to change:
// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'xxxxxxxx');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'xxxxxxx);

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'xxxxxxxx');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'mysqlv105');

+Quote Post
MarkHunter
post Mar 20 2014, 05:53 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Craig @ Mar 20 2014, 05:44 AM) *
Make sure you have the database name, user and password set correctly. I see the site connecting to the database created by the auto install at this time. There are 4 settings to change:
// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'xxxxxxxx');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'xxxxxxx);

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'xxxxxxxx');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'mysqlv105');

Yeah, I had all that correct. I ended up using the db from the one-click install, dropped the tables and migrated my import into it as for some reason I don't think the database I created accepted the user for the database which is perhaps why it was causing an error.

+Quote Post
Craig
post Mar 20 2014, 06:24 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (MarkHunter @ Mar 20 2014, 05:53 AM) *
Yeah, I had all that correct. I ended up using the db from the one-click install, dropped the tables and migrated my import into it as for some reason I don't think the database I created accepted the user for the database which is perhaps why it was causing an error.

Usually an import fails because the import file has a USE statement for a database with a different name. You just need to take ay USE statement out of the import file.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 04:18 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates