nsForum logo

Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Outgoing Smtp Server, incorrect settings still work?
jwhite
post Feb 8 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 7,698

The correct NSmail settings to use for Outlook can be found here:
http://www.networksolutions.com/support/st...p-instructions/

The issue I'm having is why do incorrect settings still work?

On numerous client machines (at different locations), the Outlook SMTP outgoing server it set to: mail.company.com instead of smtp.company.com (like the NS instructions say). On other client machines, SMTP authentication is not applied; however the NS instructions say you have to. On other machines, I have both outgoing server set to mail.company.com (instead of smtp.company.com) AND smtp authentication not used (instead of using authentication that match incoming mail server).

There are well over 500 client machines in 20 different locations. These Outlook settings were configured a few years back before I got here. The only reason why I bring it up, is that on a few client machines (over time), the end users are unable to send email; however once I correct the settings, it solves the issue. When trying to explain these "proper" settings to the old IT dogs, I'll get replies like:

That’s inconclusive. Considering that it’s been working for the last 3 years on 4 different operating system and at least 5 different computers. My settings as of today: (picture of Outlook) showing incorrect settings.

Can someone shed some light on this issue? I even pinged both servers, and the mail.company.com and smtp.company.com are both different IP addresses. Did NSemail settings change from a few years back?

Thank you,
John

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Laurie004
post Feb 8 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Group: NetSol Staff
Member No.: 6,344

Some SMTP settings multiple options can be used.

Outgoing mail can be mail.domain.ext or smtp.domain.ext. Both are configured to work in our DNS.

Outgoing server ports can be 25, 2525 or 587. The port you use depends on which ports are open at your location.

Outgoing Server requires Authentication (typically found in advanced options or settings) should always be set to prevent sending issues. Some older Outlook express programs had an issue where this needed to be off, but this was due to a software error.

+Quote Post
HaukLandsverk
post Feb 10 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #3

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 7,757

Hi,
This finally solved my outgoing mail problem, thanks. What is really bad is that you havent updated your getting started/setup documentation to include this crucial information!

BR
H

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 09:47 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates