Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 500 - Internal Server Errors On The Website
hostingMod-NS
post Jul 17 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1,114

If you see 500 error on your website (internal server error), you should check file and folder permissions via FTP. Incorrect permissions:

rw-rw-rw- (666) — Everyone can read and write to the file.

rwxr-xr-x (755) — The owner has read, write, and execute permissions; the group and others have only read and execute.

All other files, php scripts etc must be set to 644:

rw-r--r-- (644) — Only the owner has read and write permissions; the group and others have read only.

Except .cgi files (755 required for perl and cgi scripts). Please note that cgi files will work in /cgi-bin directory.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
redsceptic
post Apr 2 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #2

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 13,545

QUOTE (hostingMod-NS @ Jul 17 2008, 09:04 AM) *
If you see 500 error on your website (internal server error), you should check file and folder permissions via FTP. Incorrect permissions:

rw-rw-rw- (666) — Everyone can read and write to the file.

rwxr-xr-x (755) — The owner has read, write, and execute permissions; the group and others have only read and execute.

All other files, php scripts etc must be set to 644:

rw-r--r-- (644) — Only the owner has read and write permissions; the group and others have read only.

Except .cgi files (755 required for perl and cgi scripts). Please note that cgi files will work in /cgi-bin directory.

I've tried this, but no success. As suggested, I've uploaded a php_info.php file to htdocs, but it simply returns the message
"INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
We're sorry for the inconvenience, but there has been an internal server error. Please click on the back button to return to the former page."

There is no php.dat file in the /cgi-bin directory - is that the problem?

+Quote Post
LiquidSun
post Feb 19 2013, 06:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,139

We are using Zen Cart and have also been experiencing the 500 Internal Server Error msg. I'm certain my customers have been, too. Unfortunately it can happen in the middle of a transaction, which usually results in a lost sale. I have used the hosting tool to reset file permissions, which initially seemed to solve the problem. However, the errors have returned. Not sure what to do next...

Any suggestions?

+Quote Post
Monp
post Jun 25 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,098

I am having the same problem with the perl files coming from my forms and nothing has fixed it so far.

+Quote Post
captainoat
post Nov 12 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,919

I too am having this issue, followed many suggestions. One thing is the control panel is not reporting disk usage, 503 all the way. I tried the file permissions to no avail. Will keep trying, the site needs to be up.

+Quote Post
ClaudeHeintz
post Dec 29 2013, 11:34 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,124

My site has these 500 errors intermittently. The scripts where the error appears have worked for years. Now, about half the time I get the 500 error message. Usually refreshing the page a couple of times makes it go away and the script runs normally. However, that is unacceptable to users of my site. I need to have scripts run reliably. To test, I've cut the scripts down so that all they are doing is printing a web page. And even, simply redirecting to an html page. In all cases, the 500 error appears randomly.

I called tech support and they opened a ticket. However, I received a reply where the error was not found by the tech that was checking it out. I immediately went to my website and lo and behold, a 500 error on the simplest script:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use CGI qw(:standard);

print redirect(-url=>'https://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/lx/lxfree_download.html');

Not much to go wrong on the perl side there! But this script gets the random 500 errors. Every time I check, it has 755 file permissions. I have not found an instance where the permissions have been changed by something else. Although it occurred to me that there might be a server process that causes this and hence the intermittent errors.

I really need a reliable website and I'm about ready to go looking for other hosting that can at least make simple scripts work.

+Quote Post
Craig
post Dec 29 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,317

QUOTE (ClaudeHeintz @ Dec 29 2013, 11:34 AM) *
My site has these 500 errors intermittently. The scripts where the error appears have worked for years. Now, about half the time I get the 500 error message. Usually refreshing the page a couple of times makes it go away and the script runs normally. However, that is unacceptable to users of my site. I need to have scripts run reliably. To test, I've cut the scripts down so that all they are doing is printing a web page. And even, simply redirecting to an html page. In all cases, the 500 error appears randomly.

I called tech support and they opened a ticket. However, I received a reply where the error was not found by the tech that was checking it out. I immediately went to my website and lo and behold, a 500 error on the simplest script:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

print redirect(-url=>'https://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/lx/lxfree_download.html');

Not much to go wrong on the perl side there! But this script gets the random 500 errors. Every time I check, it has 755 file permissions. I have not found an instance where the permissions have been changed by something else. Although it occurred to me that there might be a server process that causes this and hence the intermittent errors.

I really need a reliable website and I'm about ready to go looking for other hosting that can at least make simple scripts work.

The first line of your script is:
#!C:\Perl\bin\Perl

The correct path to Perl line should be:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

+Quote Post
ClaudeHeintz
post Dec 29 2013, 09:52 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Craig @ Dec 29 2013, 09:47 PM) *
The first line of your script is:
#!C:\Perl\bin\Perl

The correct path to Perl line should be:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

Hmm looks like my script says:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

Please read the post. That's not the issue. The script works--sometimes. If you refresh the page several times, you might get the 500 error between 30% and 70% of the time (just a rough guess). Just going to the page at random times--with a clear browser cache in multiple browsers-- sometimes it works and sometimes you get the 500 error.

+Quote Post
Craig
post Dec 29 2013, 10:51 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (ClaudeHeintz @ Dec 29 2013, 09:52 PM) *
Hmm looks like my script says:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

Please read the post. That's not the issue. The script works--sometimes. If you refresh the page several times, you might get the 500 error between 30% and 70% of the time (just a rough guess). Just going to the page at random times--with a clear browser cache in multiple browsers-- sometimes it works and sometimes you get the 500 error.

Which script? The one I looked at (redirectto.cgi) had the wrong path.

+Quote Post
ClaudeHeintz
post Dec 30 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Craig @ Dec 29 2013, 11:51 PM) *
Which script? The one I looked at (redirectto.cgi) had the wrong path.

redirectto.cgi was a file that was moved from another site and never used. I'm speaking of the script in my post here, the three lines above. It is found at www.claudeheintzdesign.com/cgi-bin/lxfree_download.cgi

You could look at this one:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

print header;
print "Hello World";
print end_html;

found at http://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/cgi-bin/helloworld.cgi

Load it in your browser and try it. It works about half the time.

+Quote Post
ClaudeHeintz
post Dec 30 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #11

And, BTW I changed the shebang in the redirrectto.cgi file and it now works about half the time as well.

+Quote Post
Craig
post Jan 7 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (ClaudeHeintz @ Dec 30 2013, 09:29 AM) *
And, BTW I changed the shebang in the redirrectto.cgi file and it now works about half the time as well.

I have been unable to replicate the 500 errors over the last week.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 01:13 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates