Welcome Guest ( Log In )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Url Rewrite .net Pages, Options for URL Rewrites on NS hosted .NET site
JohnCran
post Oct 18 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 23,337

We have a website that is built with .NET and the pages are dynamically built using information for a custom SQL Server database. All works, except now I need to produce SEF/clean URLs. We have some experience with a product called IIS Mod Rewrite on other client installations not hosted with NS and it works great.

I called NS support for some help finding a solution for the site hosted with NS and the answer was that this is beyond the support they offer. I see posts about SEF URLS if you are using one of the open source content managers they offer but, not much else.

Can anyone provide some information? This doesn't seem like an unreasonable topic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Craig
post Oct 19 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1,317

QUOTE (JohnCran @ Oct 18 2014, 09:52 AM) *
We have a website that is built with .NET and the pages are dynamically built using information for a custom SQL Server database. All works, except now I need to produce SEF/clean URLs. We have some experience with a product called IIS Mod Rewrite on other client installations not hosted with NS and it works great.

I called NS support for some help finding a solution for the site hosted with NS and the answer was that this is beyond the support they offer. I see posts about SEF URLS if you are using one of the open source content managers they offer but, not much else.

Can anyone provide some information? This doesn't seem like an unreasonable topic.

Rewrites are only possible if you are on a Windows 2008 server (main directiry will be /www instead of /htdocs). They are configured through web.config. One of your hosting packages is on 2008, but the other is on an older Windows 2003 server. If you need to move to 2008, you would need to purchase a new package.

+Quote Post
JohnCran
post Oct 20 2014, 07:57 AM
Post #3

Group: Verified NS Member
Member No.: 23,337

QUOTE (Craig @ Oct 19 2014, 09:53 PM) *
Rewrites are only possible if you are on a Windows 2008 server (main directiry will be /www instead of /htdocs). They are configured through web.config. One of your hosting packages is on 2008, but the other is on an older Windows 2003 server. If you need to move to 2008, you would need to purchase a new package.

Thank you for your reply. I am talking about the one on Windows 2008 (www directory).

Is there an article or link on the web.config settings I can use? Is this the MS URL Rewrite for IIS7?

+Quote Post
Craig
post Oct 20 2014, 07:06 PM
Post #4

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 1,317

QUOTE (JohnCran @ Oct 20 2014, 08:57 AM) *
Thank you for your reply. I am talking about the one on Windows 2008 (www directory).

Is there an article or link on the web.config settings I can use? Is this the MS URL Rewrite for IIS7?

I believe so, but I have never configured rewrites on Windows. I have only seen the ones automatically set up by automatic installs of dotnetnuke and such.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tags
No Tag inserted yet

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version    Network Solutions © 2011 Time is now: 26th March 2017 - 02:00 AM
Domain Names | Web Hosting | Web Design | Shopping Cart Software | Online Marketing | SSL Certificates